How often do you buy a new driver?

Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

Thursday, March 11, 2010

TaylorMade R9 SuperTri Driver Review

I’ve always loved TaylorMade’s performance, style, track-record, marketing, and yes, gimmicks. In a highly competitive and innovative market, they always seem a half step ahead of the rest. So, with those biased opinions intact, I decided to test the new TaylorMade R9 SuperTri Driver.


Knowing that an impartial review would be the best, I vowed to try to keep an open mind and forget about all my positive TaylorMade driving memories of the past. Tough, but someone’s got to do this dirty work!

The first thing I noticed, besides the beautiful look and finish, is the solid feel of the weight distribution; not super light like the TaylorMade Burner Superfast, but a little meatier at the head. I prefer this feel. I want to know where the mass of the head is.

Distance with the SuperTri was good, not great. I’ve hit longer drives, most recently with the Adams Speedline 9032LS Driver. I got about 10 to 15 more yards out of new Adams Driver, but not the consistency that I look for. The distances varied more on slightly off-center hits than with the SuperTri. Also, my fades were a little more pronounced with the Speedline 9032LS. And that’s without making any changes with the configuration of the Flight Control Technology (FCT) or the Movable Weight Technology (MWT) in the SuperTri. I vow to dabble with these cool technologies and report on their functionality later.

The characteristic I was most impressed with was the noticeable effect of the club’s attributes on miss-hit balls. I don’t know if it was from the weight distribution, face design, or Fujikura Motore Shaft, but I could actually feel the club fight my all too frequent heel and toe hits. Believe me, I know what the results usually are when I get the instant feedback of severe heel or toe contact; a wicked slice or a low hook are the typical results. Not so with the SuperTri. My miss-hits were universally playable! I can’t wait to get this baby out on the course and see if the performance translates to a real round. My hopes are high, and why not? TaylorMade has always come through for me in the past. With the R9 SuperTri Driver, I’m sure my opinion of TaylorMade will only be enhanced.

No comments:

Post a Comment